Getting the Lay of the Land: How to Write an Email Survey
The most cost-effective means of gauging your customers’ satisfaction, both present and future, is to conduct an email survey. In the trend of your business’ operations, you have built a base of purchaser or potential customer contact scoop that you can leverage to better identify those areas you might want to improve or expand into. Some corporations use customer surveys to impress their stockholders, others, such as public utilities, show the information to regulatory commissions, while but another use it to track trends over years. But whether your “customer” is a retail consumer, a regulatory body, or a group of investors, the scheme behind any survey is to ascertain: 1) what they want and 2) how you can provide it.
The email survey has several advantages: they cost less than postal or phone surveys, they vessel be completed at someone’s convenience, they can opheffen built into your website’s functionality, making them even easier to link with, and they can draw from your internal database concerning customers and be customized to them. One potential drawback is specific to online communication: email surveys are vulnerable to “survey fraud” from spam. Therefore, to achieve optimal (and authentic) response rates, considerable care and preparation should be put into it everyplace each phase from design to implementation. Here are guidelines for creating an effective email survey, with safeguards against survey fraud:
Steps to Building a Choice Email Survey:
* Make the survey by invitation-only. This prevents duplicates, i.e., the simultaneity person completing the evaluate with different email addresses.
* Require a mailing address. This is another way of eliminating redundancy or “gaming” of your surveys by consumers (or further parties) using multiple addresses to skew your survey results.
* Hindrance “straight line” answers. Have the software automatically purge any surveys that come postern among the same letter or number chosen for entire question.
* Limit IP addresses. Limiting the quanta concerning surveys that can indiging submitted from any one IP address will slice down on multiple submissions.
* Demographic consistency. Offering a series of progressive demographic questions will help reduce instances regarding survey fraud.
* Open-ended questions. Include at least one short-answer, essay question that can be analyzed for thoughtfulness.
* Include a mix of “yes” or “no”, multiple choice, and rating questions that ask your customers to rank items on a pre-determined scale, e.g., “strongly disagree,” “disagree,” “agree,” “strongly agree,” or “I am neutral”, for highlight results.
* Choose for more engaging questions about your product either service, e.g., “Did you enjoy using this product?” versus “What did you think about this product?”
* Make it painless. Questions that require somebody to enter a number either string from a barcode, for example, are likely to turn someone off. Opt for questions that don’t require the person has the product or receipt handy; otherwise you limit your chances for success.
Ultimately, the best roadway to inscribe an email survey is to think as regards what you want to learn, who you’re trying to learn from, and how they want to breathe communicated with. Email survey programs give can conformation each survey, based on existing customer data, e.g., age, gender, shopping habits, marital status, etc., making it possible to create surveys that are highly relevant, and even enjoyable, to your customers. If your customers feel that the information you’re collecting is going to result in a positive replication from your company (and you follow through with that promise), they’ll be more probable to respond favorably to future surveys.