Protecting your identity doesn’t have to be a chore. Follow our simple steps and stay safe.
What is identity theft?
Identity theft happens when someone steals your personal information such as your name, era of birth, your PPS number, or your mother’s maiden name.
They can use this information to open bank accounts, apply for credit cards, request credit histories, and commit other types of deception in your name. Information can afsluiting gotten in many ways but usually from bins, intercepting post or tricking people form handing it over willingly to fraudsters without realising it.
The rise in social networking websites such when Facebook, YouTube, Friends Reunited also offer increased avenues for fraudsters to operate. These sites can be a lot from fun mere at the constitute time there are several risks associated for placing valuable information about yourself online. The information posted is increasingly being worn illegally to obtain products and services without our knowledge. The more information you give about yourself, the more vulnerable you become to fraud.
Tips to avoiding identity theft
You can cut your risk of identity theft if you follow some simple rules:
1. Stay safe online

Avoid using the internet in public places, like internet cafes.
Keep your passwords private and change them often.
Make sure you swindle the latest security updates on your computer
Install a secret firewall to protect your computer’s contents.
Install an anti spyware programme, moreover password protect your computer.
Never leave your computer unattended when you are logged into your account
Keep a record of monopoly your online transactions
Be extremely wary about the type of information that you make public.
Never assign your personal details such as telephone number, date concerning birth, address or employment details on Social networking sites.
Learn about scene security privacy features on social networking sites and set them to a level you are comfortable with. Voltooien careful who you allow to be your ‘friend’ or join your network.
Take extreme custody when allowing applications access to your pages.
Opt forth where you can – companies may send you marketing mail or share your details in mailing lists near different companies.
Always supervise children and teenagers when they are using the internet.

2. Keep your personal information to yourself

Don’t send or joint personal word by way of email or over the phone
Don’t choose PIN numbers or passwords that are easy to guess, like your escort of birth, pets’ alternative children’s names.
Memorise your PIN numbers and passwords so they aren’t written anywhere. Don’t share them, even with family and friends.
Think very carefully before giving tidings to researchers or philanthropy collectors.
Protect mail left in communal areas regarding residential properties.

3. Keep yourself and your bank informed

Check your bank audit regularly including notify us immediately on condition that you notice anything suspicious. You can use your online banking to do this regularly
If you don’t get a Bank or Credit card statement alternative any other expected financial information, inform your bank or card issuer as soon as possible.
Keep your personal details up to date, so we can contact you as quickly as possible.
Make sure all your mail is redirected protasis you are changing address. If you haven’t received a bank or credit statement, tell your financial institution immediately.

Get a copy of your credit reference file from the Irish Credit Bureau, to make sure that everything is in order (this may cost a small fee).

4. Keep and destroy your information safely

Commissary your personal information in a secure place
Destroy any documents with personal information on them by shredding, cross shredding is recommended. this should include receipts, pre-approved applications, bank statements, insurance renewal notices and bills among others.
Cut up your expired bank cards.

How do you know you’ve bot a sufferer of identity theft?
If any of the following apply to you, contact your bay or financial institution immediately.

You receive letters from banks, solicitors, debt collectors, or finance companies that are not yours or that you did not previously know about.
You’re refused a fiscal service, even though you have good credit history.
You receive invoices or bills from goods or services you’ve never ordered.
You apply for a state benefit, but you are told that you are already claiming.
You are billed for a sculpture phone contract that has been set up in your eponym without your knowledge instead consent.
You have lost or had an essential document poached such as your passport ere driving licence.

Take a look at the later videos from the UK Federal Fraud Authority for more information: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/thedevilsinyourdetails
How we stock you safe
Fraud Monitoring
As integrant of our Wile Monitoring System, we may contact you if we identify rara avis or suspicious activity on your card to verify your use of your card. Contact can be made in 3 ways, Phone, SMS or Contact Letter – the phone number displayed on the SMS and Letter to contact us on will always be +353 1 6695851
To help protect you from fraud, we may occasionally block specific ATM and tally transactions temporarily on condition that we identify each unusual transactions on your card/account. This may happen protasis your card is being used in an unusual way or in a country which we suspect fraudulent exercise is happening.
We will then implore you to confirm your transactions by asking you some security questions. We would recommend that you store these contact details in your mobile phone for future reference.
When we contact you we will never claim you to disclose your PIN, Verified by Visa Password or security logon information. If you are in any incredulity about the authenticity concerning a caller / email or SMS that you accept received, take their details and call the number on the back about you joker without delay.
It is always kind to let us know you are going abroad; contact Open 24 on 1890 500 121 or your radial to advise them of your travel arrangements connective also to ensure we allow your mobile number so we can contact you if we suspect your singleton is being accepted by fraudsters.
Verified by Visa

If you have a Visa Debit or Credit card, you can use Verfied by Visa. Once your card is activated via Verified by Visa, you’ll have a login et cetera password for the card. When you make an online purchase, it will prompt you to provide that password before you can checkout. That way, you can treffen sure you are the only one making a purchase for your Visa card.