If you’re not a professional copywriter, next writing your first sales letter can be an intimidating experience. If you’ve hung around internet marketing for a while, then I’m sure you’ve heard all the names of the biggie copywriters–Gary Halbert, John Carlton, Joe Vitale, to name a few. And, when you consider how much those guys, and others like them, experience as regards writing advertising copy, then…yeah!…the idea of you doing it yourself container be a little…well, fear producing. The problem is this: Unless you learn to communicate your ideas with others through writing, and unless you learn to communicate those ideas in a sales context, your newly minted internet business is going nowhere!
Fortunately for you, there’s help!
Short of actually hiring a professional copywriter, you can learn the basics of copywriting yourself. You vessel check books out of the library and read them. (That’s actually how John Carlton got his start.) You can read the oldie but goodies–Claude Hopkins, for instance. You cup touch courses from the likes of John Carlton.
You can even just sit back and write a not-too-bad sales letter without any of this. Let me tell you how.
You weakness to start doing something–I do it, plus all professional marketers online and off-line do it, too. You need to start what we call a “swipe file”.
A swipe file is a file of sales material that you’ve collected over the months or years to swipe ideas from. I’m on a ton of mailing lists, too I get several sales letters emailed to my inbox every day. Now, not all of them are good. I read through them, delete the ones that don’t catch my attention, and save the ones that do. Those I print out and put in a notebook.

How do I understand the letters I’m conservation are “good”? Well, I do, also I don’t. I do because from a gut level, I figure provided a writer can get my attention, keep it, and give me some desire to buy their product, there must be some merit to the letter. I don’t (know if it’s good) because I can’t track it–so, you’re right, I don’t become a complete picture of whether a given sales letter can bring home the bacon or not.
But my quick and dirty sales letter triage is better than nothing!
I use my snatch file in two ways.
I peruse all my letters though I get on ready to write a new letter looking for the right “hook”. In other words, I suffer my letters develop big picture ideas.
When I arise stuck on a headline, sub-head, P. S., or whatnot, I look at all the examples I have to get specific ideas.
All the greats keep swipe files. Dan Kennedy says he has a whole room devoted to filing cabinet after filing cabinet of swipe file material–so I’m in good company!
You should be, too!